Each year group will have a bespoke and evolving plan that aims to meet each of the Gatsby benchmarks that enable schools to meet all statutory Government guidelines. This is an evolving plan that will be evaluated throughout the school year and adjusted to meet year group, cohort and individual needs accordingly.
The eight Gatsby benchmarks of Good Career Guidance:
1. A stable careers programme
2. Learning from career and labour market information
3. Addressing the needs of each pupil
4. Linking curriculum learning to careers
5. Encounters with employers and employees
6. Experiences of workplaces
7. Encounters with further and higher education
8. Personal guidance
Throughout their time at Ralph Thorersby pupils will have the opportunity to take advantage of numerous careers activities. In both Y10 & Y12 pupils will complete a work experience placement that we will endeavour to ensure is of interest and gives an insight into a working environment that best matches aspirations. A specialist careers adviser will interview all children at intervals throughout their school years and give bespoke guidance to help pupils make choices that give them the best chance of meeting future career goals. Employers will come to school to speak to children about what they are looking for in future recruits and mock interviews will take place so all pupils are well prepared. Whether your child is intent on further education at university or feel like an apprenticeship might be for them, specialist guidance will be available to explore all options.
CAREERS PROGRAMME AND PROGRESSION FROM RALPH THORESBY SCHOOL
We offer a careers programme in school for all students from Year 7 to Year 13. This is led and managed by our Careers Leader, Chloe Bell and involves a wide program of activities.
Contact details for our Careers Leader are as follows:
- Telephone: 0113 3979911
- Email: email@example.com.
At Ralph Thoresby we believe in every student fulfilling their potential and this relentless drive for success is just as noticeable in our hopes and expectations for students’ next steps as it is during lessons. We have a very proud record of students achieving places at top Universities and positions with top employers.
Every possible option is catered for as part of our progression guidance and as opportunities outside of University begin to mirror those inside it, we always ensure we provide correct, timely, supportive intervention that is based on the students’ needs and aspirations.
We are continually improving our careers education programme and we are currently working towards ensuring we meet the 8 Gatsby Benchmark for successful careers provision.
We measure impact in a variety of ways:
- After their GCSEs in 2018 91% of our students stayed in education, the majority in the Sixth Form. A further 7% secured a work based apprenticeship scheme.
- After their Sixth Form study 61% of students continued with their education (29% to Russell Group Universities) and 23% of students entered employment or apprenticeships.
- 93% of our students secured a place at their preferred university.
- In 2019, we expect that 73% of students will go to University, with the remainder seeking employment or apprenticeships
We use computer software such as ‘Fast Tomato’, ‘Unifrog’ and ‘UCAS Progress’ to assess how well students are participating in our careers provision. We also collect student information following our 2 enrichment days to ensure that students receive the right provision throughout their time at Ralph Thoresby School. We monitor careers related events, such as employer talks, work experience, careers fair attendance as well as attendance and impact of personalised careers guidance interviews which every student receives at multiple times throughout their time at Ralph Thoresby School.
Our careers provision is reviewed after each enrichment day.